View Single Post
Old 10-06-2020, 09:41 PM   #6
RustyPile

Re: 402 big block solenoid wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblock50 View Post
Right. I thought about the smaller starter but it’s the darned solenoid! I actually wired it up on the floor thinking that would make the job easier. But struggling to get it installed between the cooler lines and the frame, I managed to force the plus cable out of position. It would certainly be easier with a six foot lift and lots of bright lights.
Jack up your truck high enough to comfortably work under it from a creeper.. (You do have one of those, don't you?? ) If you can't disconnect the wires and cables with the starter bolted in place, remove the mounting bolts but don't remove the starter. Instead, build or otherwise obtain a large box and position it on the floor directly under the starter and set a jack stand on it.. Slide the starter forward toward the radiator enough to gain access to the connection points on the solenoid.. Raise the jack stand enough to support the starter. It's almost impossible for the starter to fall because of the exhaust, frame, and transmission cooler lines..

Having been an automobile mechanic for over 30 years my hands grew eyes.. I can feel my way around places my eyes and drop light can't reach.. I've never weighed more than 170 lbs in my life.. I have small hands and long fingers that can work in small places.. I use 1/4" drive sockets, extensions, and other compact tools when working in tight places.. In places where I can't swing a ratchet, I have a small battery powered 1/4" drive ratchet.. It will tighten 6-32 fasteners without striping the threads.. I also have a 1/4" driver handle that accepts sockets and extensions..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote