View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 09:54 AM   #15
dz1087

Re: Looking to Buy a Camper Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
Just wondering, by you using the g word," glamping", are you looking for a vintage trailer to pull? If so, here are a couple of things to consider. Most, but not all, were single axle rigs and they get heavy in a hurry. Back in the day, camper manufacturers were not worried about selling a camper you could tow with whatever you pulled up in. Most people bought a heavy truck to pull a heavy camper. I pulled my Scotty ,(1100 lbs), all over the place with the 72 and it really never knew it was back there. A mid size say, Shasta Air Flyte will weigh in at 2100 fully loaded or there abouts. When you get much heavier than that, I'm afraid you will have to adjust your driving habits to blend in with traffic. Another thing we do and did, is take the parallel roads to the busy highways where we can to avoid semis and jackrabbit drivers on cell phones. Idiots are on every road, sorry I don't have a cure for that. With that said, proper brakes, hitches, and bags if needed are all good ideas. Happy camping.
PS, we love Navarre, we have stayed at the campground there several times over the last 15 years, even almost bought a 2nd home in a subdivision back behind Wal Mart during the housing crash of '08.
Interestingly, this was my father-in-law's old truck. They used to tote my wife, her brother, mom, and dad in the single cab towing an old Shasta to go camping all the time. That one weighed in at about 2,500. I even towed that camper a few times in high school when the wife and I were dating, driving this exact same truck. No issues at 2,500 lbs. but what we are looking at weighs in a bit heavier.

Funny though - we rented a house directly behind Walmart from 08 to 09 when we first got the the area. Then bought near Hwy 87 in 09.
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote