View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 11:50 PM   #17
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Re: Blowing "Tail Stop Park Dome" fuse w/ Brake On Then Left Turn Signal

I saw on YouTube a 70s GM car (not truck) that was tilt that needed that signal thing replaced. Watched him pull it out and fish the new one in (has the ribbon cable attached to the plastic bit that I assume is the signal mechanism...)

With that said this is what I did, thus far I cannot get the fuse to blow.

1. Took the wire that is for the gear indicator light (it is not part of the ribbon) and push a little but up into the column.
2. Took the loose-ish gear indicator light and used electrical tape to secure it down the middle of the column
3. Push a little bit of the ribbon cable up into the column.
4. Took the loose-ish ribbon cable so its over the gear indicator light wire and installed the little black cover (that is in my post #15).

So now none of the wires coming from inside the column are tight at all and the gear indicator light wire is keeping the ribbon cable off the column as far as I can see. Tested turning on right turn signal and off a zillion times. Moved Tilt in different positions and turn wheel in different directions, while turning on right turn signal and off a zillion times. All while having brake, running, dash, and dome lights on.

Clearly not a proper fix and if that holds I'd be surprised. I finally remembered who I bought this column from, Randy500. Which he has been banned, so zero help from the seller. Though he was not very helpful (as in not helpful) when I had issues straight off the bat with it not canceling a turn signal.

Perhaps I am having a problem like what was found for 1971Stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
Thank you. I think you are right. I had the shop pull the column open this morning as they were about to paint it. The wiring is bad on the turn signal switch (bare wires) so that will have to be replaced, but otherwise it looked good.

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote