Thread: Starter & Shims
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2021, 09:52 PM   #7
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Re: Starter & Shims

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
There is a lot wrong with that video. The way he is measuring is the way you check the shims on a late model starter when installing on a Gen 1 SBC. Not a Gen 1 starter on a Gen 1 SBC.
Then you should never put more shims on one bolt. The starter must sit level. If the starter is crooked the bolts are forced to bend when torqued down.
And with an 168 tooth (angle/offset bolt) starter like shown in the video putting different amounts of shims under each bolt will cause the armature of the starter to no longer be perfectly parallel with the crankshaft causing the starter to wear quickly and stress the mounting bolts.

roboticjunky has posted good information.
Well getting that gear out on the flex plate with a screw driver, well it’s a pain. I did find a paper clip. And it goes inside the at the valley okay and no real sloop.

Maybe my starter is just worn and makes a scratching sound my neighbor doesn’t like? Really hard to explain and this truck is all I’ve heard - so I can’t compare it to anything.

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote