View Single Post
Old 03-30-2021, 11:17 AM   #4
traut811

Re: Where to add sound deadening mat? For adding door speakers and under carpet

Thank you both for the replies, and great advice. Just my thoughts, but I figured a piece against the outside door skin, inside the door directly behind the speaker would deaden whatever is coming off the speaker right there. If I should do the inside of the inside skin as well I will tackle that.

Good call on if the stuff fails, I don't necessarily know if there would be any advantage of doing much more than a small area just around the speaker which is why I ask.

Makes perfect sense about the unsupported areas needing it the most. 50sq ft of the kilmat was only $60 or so, which was a lot cheaper than the dynamat. It had great reviews and saw people on here talking about it so going to give it a shot. If I have extra, I have a '69 Z/28 project that's dead at this moment I'll save it for.

I got the truck a couple years ago out of Long Beach CA. I made a taillight fuel filler for it, need to put barnwood in the bedfloor, ridetech coilovers are finished and front sway bar, need to do the rear sway bar still, bought a Sniper EFI for it almost a year ago and haven't put it in yet, and have all of this audio stuff that I'm just now getting around to doing. It isn't much, just 6.5" door speakers, 2x 3.5" tweeters that I'll put in the center dash, little 400w sub for the speakers and a powered 8" sub under the seat. It had no sound inside before so just to have some tunes.

One more question to add- it looks like there's a thick rubber coating of some sort inside the cab that has factory paint over it. I guess this needs to be scraped off the best I can? Almost looks like a bedliner or something, but you can flake edges off with your fingers. It might have been from someone over the last 50 years also, who knows.
traut811 is offline   Reply With Quote