View Single Post
Old 03-30-2021, 02:54 PM   #77
MikeB

Re: overdrive opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
GM installed them in different configurations in the first years of use. Mostly depending on brand. Some had lock up in 2nd and 3rd gears. There were issues with the 2nd gear lockup driveablity so GM quickly dropped that part.
And as far as I know the lockup clutch is completely electrically controlled in all Th350Cs. Unlike a 700r4 that hydraulically prevents lockup below 40 to 50 MPH.
Just read where some versions of the TH350C had a 3rd gear pressure switch and road speed sensor that a computer "reads" to determine when to lock/unlock, along with a brake pedal unlock switch. But I don't think my 81 had a computer of any sort. I do remember the wire that locked up the clutch originated from the valve body, but I don't know which parameter "closed the switch". It was more than just 3rd gear pressure, I would assume.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote