View Single Post
Old 04-08-2021, 07:01 PM   #520
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
Maybe I will see you out there my wife and I plan to do the same with our 65C 10 I am pretty much down to wheels in moldings. that’s a beautiful car that first scratch is really going to hurt LOL
You're a long way from me, but ya never know, we may bump into each other somewhere. As for the dings, I already have a couple of chips in it I had to touch up so I'm building up my immunity to the pain.

I fab'd up a radiator hose splice with a bung for the steam tube. Rolled a couple of beads in it with my homemade tool. I was able to find a couple of Dayco hoses that worked perfectly to connect the thermostat housing to the radiator with the splice in between. I used a handy dandy eBay tool to pull about 24" of vacuum on the cooling system. It has a shutoff valve so you can test for leaks before adding the coolant. Let it set for about 15 minutes with no loss of vacuum, so I connected the pickup tube and let it draw in the antifreeze. No runs, no drips, no errors.

Not as lucky with the fuel system. Put in 5 gallons of premium and fired up the fuel pump and had leaks in a couple of places. Was unable to tighten the tube nuts enough to get the leaks stopped. In order to remove the tubing for repair, I had to take the left rear wheel off. (It never ends.) Once the tubing was out I realized the seam on the inside of the tubing was the problem. Tried to burnish it to remove the defect, but was unsuccessful. So tomorrow, I'm headed down to HRE to pick up some Aeroquip stainless braided hose to replace the tubing. I'm not a big fan of braided lines, but it's the most time saving and effective solution at this point. Two steps forward, one back - as usual.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote