View Single Post
Old 04-20-2021, 12:37 PM   #2
Woodnears

Re: Daves new 68 chevy swb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I was just curious of others considerations for making it easier to access things, what 'things' they focused on, & the approach.

I know I had an issue w/the rear of my dually not airing up late last year. Of course when this was discovered, the truck had the rails & the rear hitch safety chain anchor points firmly planted on the concrete.

Mine is a manual set-up so I don't have to worry about the height sensors or height ECU but I still made some changes after that issue because of similar accessibility reasons you mentioned. It was a PITA getting to all the possible sources of failure to diagnose/pinpoint the issue:

Did it blow a fuse?
Did a relay fail?
Did the compressor fail?
Did the pressure switch fail?

That led to "what can I do to facilitate correcting a failure or overcoming one" in an emergency/away from home situation. A lot of my wiring was so specifically routed it made testing a PITA. Once sorted, the wiring is no longer as neat but is now much easier to access fuses/relays for testing if necessary. Things to improve this logic were implemented.
Exactly! I have had similar issues. Luckily I have never been far from home. I would like to drive this truck a few hours to shows and what not so I need it to be reliable. Furthermore I'm preparing to paint this thing in the next year or so and I want to make sure there are no major changes with anything before I do so. Right now I can remove the bed by myself to troubleshoot anything. Once its fully dressed and in paint I will no longer be able to do that. If I can get all fuses and main wiring up and in the back I think it will be beneficial. there is quite a bit of room under the raised floor behind the rear wheels. I plan on making the rear panel removable to gain quick access if the need was to arise. i was even tossing around the idea of hinging it...