View Single Post
Old 05-07-2021, 06:38 AM   #13
Killer Bee

Re: In-Cab Gas Tank ARRRGH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
I recently had my carb rebuilt in my 1970 C10 and the guy recommended that I get a new gas tank since my tank was the original.
<snip>
in bold is not a good enough reason to replace the tank.. 'the guy' may have just stuck a burr under your saddle.. drain, flush and inspection is required before condemning the old tank.. starting there - what do you see? based on the inspection, treat accordingly..

if no corrosion is discovered, thorough flushing and pressure test for leaks is likely all that's necessary.. if corrosion is discovered, depending how much it can be chemically, mechanically, or boiled out.. a decent radiator shop or full service garage should be able to get that done for you or research various methods you are willing and able to do yourself..

at least that should get you by long enough to source a better original candidate to be prepped for service if that original ends up needing eventual replacement.. lots of truck rebuilders are tossing in cab tanks for relocated varieties so there's bound to be good used available..

also be sure to check your fuel lines, connections and filters and you should have a reliable system.. return all that chinesium crap for refund and spend the savings on some good cold beer..

good luck!