View Single Post
Old 08-13-2021, 04:54 PM   #23
SCOTI

Re: 20 to 10 series top arms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy longhorn View Post
Good idea Scoti......I will check that route out. I guess it is a matter of , the cost of parts vs the machine work? All the parts on my truck are fresh(within 6000 miles). Let us go a number& kick back longhorn
I don't recall the upsizing of the mounting hardware to be significant if @ all.

Having limited access to early C20's/30's (pre-73), I have been told they utilized 9/16" upper mounting studs but never had one to validate the info personally.

Most later disc brake 1/2 tons utilize 1/2" upper studs. HD trucks were 9/16".
Early pre-disc brake lower control arm U-bolts were 1/2". Post-72 disc brake are 9/16".

I just put calipers on the old/original upper shafts from my 64 as well as a pair of uppers I got from one of N2billets 67-70 builds. These are original shafts & they allow a 9/16" bolt to pass through. The old/original x-member from my 64 has 1/2" upper mounting studs. The post-72 pancaked x-member I have has 1/2" upper mounting studs.

The early shaft diameters are 15/16" & flat where the bolts pass through (no Concave shape). The later shaft I have is 7/8" @ the shaft & ~1" where the stud passes through (w/the Concave notch).

Point of all this is it's quite probable the C10 shafts fit what you have w/o drilling anything. I would check the dimensions for what you have & compare. There might be no gain or @ the minimum a possible 1/8" gain if one side is flat.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote