View Single Post
Old 09-25-2021, 02:53 PM   #12
jeff74

Re: Coil voltage high engine running

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
>> I read just over 6 volts at the coil with ignition on,<<

The engine just happened to stop with the points "closed". The next time you turn the engine off, it may stop with the points open. You will then read battery voltage on the "+" and "-" post on the coil.

>>engine running read 12 volts at the coil,<<

A DC volt meter is used to measure a DC Voltage. A constant DC voltage.

The ignition points is a switch. A V8 ignition fires 4 plugs per engine revolution.

At idle, the DC meter is trying to measure the voltage on a switch circuit that is opening and closing 4 X 650 = 2600 times a minute.

That "resistance do not cut" wire doesn't look factory to me, but what do I know. It should measure about 1.6 Ohms end-to-end.

>>A set of points would probably last me a long time, this truck won't be a daily driver,<<

Points will generally last 10k - 15k miles, depending. Sitting unused, corrosion will shorten the life somewhat.
I see what you're saying about trying to measure at the coil with the engine running, makes sense. That resistance wire has definitely been in there a long time, if not factory.

This truck sat for so long , though, it's going to need the whole system gone through... headlight switch (and I'll probably go to relays), wiper switch, fuse panel is corroded, fuel gauge actually works though..

Luckily, under the dash looks mostly stock, and the engine bay except for some wires being extended to have the alternator on the right hand side.

It had 1984 plates when I bought it, I don't really belive that it sat for that long maybe just around the farm after 84..

Thanks for everyone's tips and input