View Single Post
Old 10-15-2021, 10:51 AM   #45
67C10Step

Re: The ‘Positive’ California ‘Thread’

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
I really liked northern California. Southern not so much you guys get a bum rap like Tim said only the bad stuff is reported very much the Same with NY . People assume if you live in NY you live in the city.
I've not been to every state in the nation but I have been to quite a few. What I have found is if you get far enough away from the large, urban areas (NYC, LA, Atlanta, etc.) you will find people pretty much the same. May talk a little different and have a few quirks that are different but pretty well the same as everyone else in a more country setting.

I spent a month in upstate New York back in 2008, the Illion/Utica area. Made some good friends, loved the area, and would go back if I got the chance. Spent a week at Washington College in Chestertown, Maryland taking a graduate course one summer and loved the Eastern Shore area.

For an Arky hillbilly I've managed to get around a bit and broaden my perspective. I've learned the south doesn't have the market cornered on ignorant rednecks and the stereotype of a typical Arkansan still holds in a lot of places with people who don't seem to know much about anything other than where they are from.

California is absolutely gorgeous and if I'd just spent months in a wagon to get there I'd think I was in heaven. All places that nice eventually draw enough people to have issues. No way around it. The prices of everything does offset the increased wages though. I've found the closer you get to either coast everything is 1.5-2x as expensive. I am blessed to be where I get to enjoy lower cost of living while having a job that pays me multiples of the state average income. I might make more other places but I'd spend it living there.

The framers of our country very well understood states would be very different and remain that way forever. That is why states rights were held in such high regard. I'll not go any further into politics than that.
2024 Toyota Tundra
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote