View Single Post
Old 10-20-2021, 10:31 AM   #139
mr.mud1

Re: 1972 Cheyenne Super 20 on the way home

well another little update,i walked out into the shop the other day and saw an oil slick working it's way accross the floor.i thought it might be water but no such luck,the pinion seal decided that it had enough.i guess sitting still for 25 years takes a toll.i pulled out the driveshaft deciding that i'd change all the u-joints,the tailshaft seal in the turbo 400 and the hanger bearing.on closer inspection,i discovered a groove in the pinion yoke so i installed a speedi-sleeve, the u-joints all like new although they have to be 25 years old or more but i know they were changed as 1 was in backwards so impossible to grease.i know it didn't leave the factory like that,so i ordered seals and decided on the hanger bearing too.the more i putter around this truck,the more neat things i learn,i've had a bunch of these trucks over the years and found cotter pins,in the bolts holding the hanger bearing to the frame bracket?never saw that before.i cleaned all the bolts and hardware in my tumbler and put it right back how the General built it.pretty cool.well the parts arrived,hanger bearing was wrong and i managed to bent the seal going in the trans tailshaft.another seal and the correct hanger bearing,we're back in business.if the weather holds out for tomorrow.we might just go to Masstown Friday night for the old car gathering,there won't be many more.
Attached Images

mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote