Thread: I got cold feet
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2021, 04:23 PM   #14
conoco

Re: I got cold feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim View Post
i have heard great things about the edelbrock avs2 carb, i have the edelbrock 1406 carb on mine, it works great, what is so much better about the avs2? my son bought an avs2 but hasnt put it on his truck yet.....also, i have an sm465/205 in my truck,with 4:10 gears front and rear, i bought a gear vendor used, im going to put it in my truck, the adapter is $700 i think , thats why i havent done it yet, when are you going to install yours,and do you have the sm465/205? just wondering what im going to get into doing this..
The AVS2 is mostly praised for it's great throttle response, It was configured for ideal street performance in small block engines and some big blocks. The 1406 is 600 CFM and the 1906 is 650, You don't have to worry about the negative effects of exhaust gas recirculation because it is a non-EGR carb, which usually hampers performance and takes down the coolant used to cool off the system. The annular boosters were also developed for fuel fragmentation to extinguish flat spots. Ever booster includes 8 evenly spaced apertures to provide better fuel metering.

I think the 1406 is a great carb, but when I got the avs2 and the jet kit the throttle response was night and day different. A properly tuned carb no matter what is is will be great.

As far as my truck, I will will be installing it this weekend, it will be going on a 1972 / GMC / Sierra Grande / k2500 / 4x4 / 383 stroker / np205 / Eaton ho52 in the rear / 4.11 gears / 35" tires and a TH-350.

I have taken my truck on many long distance fishing trips up mountain roads and it has always done great, but I truly cant wait to get over drive and also be able to split the gears when I need too. If the gear vendors can drop me to 2500 rpm at 65-70 mph I will be super stoked!! right now I am currently at 3300 rpms at 65-70. My engine has about 10,000 miles on it and I really don't want it working that hard all the time. Really hoping I love it as much as I think I will. I'll send you a private message on the install incase you wanna know some of the stuff I might have issues with. It should be pretty strain forward though.