View Single Post
Old 10-22-2021, 09:28 AM   #13
Davidf

Re: Long crank after parked for a week

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick472 View Post
I have 3 "sitters". One has an Edelbrock, one QuadraJet, & One Holley. They will all take 10 seconds (or more) of cranking to fire-up after sitting for a few days. Two of them are manual chokes and tend to fire-up quicker if the choke is pulled where the QuadraJet (with a broken choke) really likes to have some gas poured down it to speed things up.

I have heard of someone on here putting an electric fuel pump in the line (alone with the mechanical pump, I think) to assist with this occurrence, but I have not wrapped my head around how to do it myself.
Carbs suck! So, I went the LS route and will never look back.

But, my 72 240z behaves like this. If it sits more than a couple of days, it was very hard to start. So, added an electric pump. Datsun was kind enough to wire every car for an electric pump near the fuel tank. I also added a electric fuel pump controller under the dash. The controller shuts of the fuel pump if there is no tachometer signal present. So, my solution was to not connect the controller to the tank. Without the signal, upon turning on the ignition, the controller will run the electric pump for about 2 seconds...this is long enough to prime the carburetors and make for easier starting. Once the engine fires, the mechanical fuel pump takes over (and I don't have to listen to the electric pump running). Could be an option.

Bonus: If the mechanical pump dies, all i have to do is connect the tach signal to the pump controller and I am on my way.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote