View Single Post
Old 10-31-2021, 09:26 AM   #1
MDFarms

The nightmare of thinking about drilling trim on build ideas

This thread is thought after reading ACCELO thread " I DID THE TRIM AND THE TRIM WON"

This may be a thread for paint and body but I dont think that topic gets the traffic we see here so I thought I would post it here.

I'm not a paint or body guy, but have one of the best painters in my area doing my painting but want to have answers if he ask me on trim location or good ideas from those of you on here have learned while doing this install. Anyone know if GM had a "Measurement" for the center color height front to rear (EXAMPLE: 23" Center paint height)

HERE IS MY THOUGHTS AND PLEASE STOP ME IF I'M OVER THINKING AND WORRYING! THESE JIGS ARE ONLY MADE TO GIVE ME A START POINT & DOUBLE CHECK MY MEASUREMENTS.

I know many of you have probably done tons of these but for those of us who have not I'm sure this is a worry for eveyone one of us. So please if anyone in Michigan thats a pro for laying out trim I would hire you to come lay mine out and drill holes for my trim........ Just throwing it out there.

When doing the trim do you drill before any paint and use those lines for your paint down center on top and bottom? Do you paint center then drill along your paint lines for the trim because its covered then paint your top/bottom color)? Anyone ever use a chalk line for center or laser?

I'm open to any good threads that people can point me to on the site. Its hard to believe with technology you would think there would be good stickable templates to mark holes exactly. Kinda like the peel back protective film over top of decal kits. Something that you line up on top box edge and bring over side of bed and squeegy down in place with hole locations. It would protect drilling surface and two would peel off easily when finished. Or magenetic strips same size of trim with hole locations that lay out easily down sides of truck. Simply lay them down sides and drill through the pre-drilled holes on magnetic strips line up your measurments for fit. This would allow you to peel back on/off and make adjustments until they are straight down sides of truck and then drill.

I have been worrying about this so much I decided to make some jigs from my 1972 Factory trim truck for laying across bed for height of upper moulding for reference points, then I was thinking something through doors with windows down and one that bolts across radiator support for front fender. I would then take detailed notes and measurments down from upper trim to top of lower trim for drilling locations.

So far I have only did the box, Does anyone see any issues with going through doors for the door trim with my jigs? OR DO I NEED TO STOP OVER THINKING IT AND JUST WING IT?
Attached Images

Last edited by MDFarms; 10-31-2021 at 09:52 AM.
MDFarms is offline   Reply With Quote