View Single Post
Old 11-05-2021, 12:40 AM   #32
caseyjones

Re: 1964 GMC Palomino Tan Survivor

I was able to put some test miles on the truck last weekend and it felt great to get it out and moving. I got the shock mounts made and the shocks mounted and the ride is pretty good. No bottoming out with this setup, even on some pretty big whoops in the road. The brakes take just a little too much effort so I bought a 7" booster for a little bit of assist. Felt like there might still be some contact between the front wheels and the control arms so I probably need to take a grinder to them. For looks I found some Oldsmobile dog dish caps - they get the job done.

The trans and clutch sound so bad though. Growling, banging, squealing...good thing I have this hanging around the garage...

Its an AX15 from a Jeep Comanche that I totally lucked into. I bought the front adapter from another forum member, and after some panic that I might not find a slip yoke, I found a part number on a Jeep forum and thank goodness it worked!

I need to pick up front and rear seals and a pilot bushing. I'm waiting to install until I shorten the truck so I'm only buying the driveshaft once.
I spent a little time polishing on the paint to see if it has any life left. I think it'll shine up pretty good!

Progress is gonna have to stall for a little bit - my buddy's '62 C20 developed a leaky head gasket, and since he has no garage and it's rainy season it's gonna get fixed in my garage. Once we have him running again, I think I'll bust out the sawzall...
caseyjones is offline   Reply With Quote