View Single Post
Old 12-05-2021, 09:21 AM   #7
Boog
laying low

Re: dies randomly at idle in gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
Strange. My trucks run fine with the plugs at the proper gap.
The AC plugs that were replaced were also gapped at 45 so Dad must have been through it too. I wonder if increasing the plug gap makes it fire stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post
Super common issue on these trucks.
I am pretty sure it has never had a new distributor. The shaft has no play and on first inspection inside looks good. That doesn't mean it is without fault though.

With the few parts I have replaced it starts easier now where before it spun over a good bit before starting each time, now it starts very quickly. So I am making headway with it.

This is an original, all stock '91 Chevy truck that has never been driven hard. My Dad more or less babied this truck. It has 82,300 miles on it and uses absolutely no oil and seems to be real good on gas mileage though I haven't put the pencil to it. I am reasoning that age is taking it's toll on electrical parts. It seemed to run better by replacing the plug wires alone and they were AC Delco wires but 30 years old. I bought new AC Delco wires to go back on it. My Dad was a stickler for keeping a GM vehicle all GM.
Attached Images

91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross

Last edited by Boog; 02-11-2022 at 09:20 AM.
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote