View Single Post
Old 12-15-2021, 10:46 PM   #12
Scott2

Re: LS Long Tube Headers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhotrod View Post
some time ago there was a discussion about this and i bought a set of Speed Engineering long tube swap headers #25-1026. they are 304ss headers for putting a LS motor in a C-10 truck. they fit in my 55 chevy frame perfectly. clear the starter and oil filter (both removable without aggravation). and they are about $400 for the pair.
These look interesting! However, I did have a few more discussions with TCI and others and realized that one of the clearance issues is that the TCI chassis has a crossmember that has braces going forward and they're about an inch thick. Most headers apparently run at or just below the bottom of the frame rails and you have to do some significant contortions to get the exhaust back up to clear the crossmember. The result is that most headers that might fit ok on the stock chassis don't fit the TCI chassis.

I have found two headers that TCI says they have had success with - one is the Ultimate headers I mentioned before @ ~$1500/set and the other is a customized version of Doug's tri-y's that are built for sold by the Apicella truck guys who use TCI chassis. Thos are about $900.