View Single Post
Old 12-30-2021, 10:54 AM   #9
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Compression ratio and smog levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin oil View Post
A thought is build it with the higher compression but using a thin head gasket. If emmissiins become an issue then install a thicker gasket to slightly lower the compression.
While Yes it does work it does not move enough compression around to make a effective change. Depending on the bore size. You can move from 9.2 to 9.0-1. Anymore you start hurting quench, and quench is effective for smog control too.. Unless you are right on the edge in function.

The brand D heads are open chamber heads "or atleast the ones he has" which is something I have no experience with going around smog testing. Typical GM heads of the smogger era are D chamber which do provide effective quench. Not as much as Vortec, LT1, or LS heads. Just compared to open chambers.

Brand D had a lot of open chamber heads, and a few closed chambers. He has been looking for closed chamber factory heads, but as of right now he is seriously looking at speedmaster aluminum heads. Which are aluminum redone stock heads with better chambers, and a good option if you want a Magnum or Vortec like engine.

We were texting at work yesterday, but it seems like he just wants a Magnum engine. With a couple bolt-ons to maximize economy, and the power package. It has enough power for his needs, and will give him the least problems when he can least afford it. He is a Brand-D guy, and very familiar with the 93+ variety. A Magnum I thought was a option, but the differences are just to much. Atleast at this time with what we can do, and find a machine shop willing to do. Then depending on how far he goes on the 318. He will either match or exceed a 5.2 Magnum.

Either way I am curious to where it ends up as I want a Burb, but I can usually only find smogger eras in my price range.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote