Thread: Other vintage
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2022, 09:43 AM   #25
special-K
Special Order

Re: Other vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
There are so many things in that kitchen pic that just scream old, not retro styling, actual old. The (I assume) exterior wall, the beams in the ceiling, the pantry in the corner, the white enamel sink that sticks above the countertop so much, butterfly door hinges. It looks fantastic.

Someday soon, I am going to remodel my kitchen (1929 house) because it is just tired and needs some reconfiguring. My main goal though, is to keep with the appropriate look. I took out a chimney that was covered over many decades ago and cobbled something in its place. It changes the layout. Turns out that the chimney was for a wood-fired stove from when the house was new.
Thanks. I know you know your kitchens. Behind the sink is exterior, log, and the ceiling beams are original hand hewn, ceiling is bottom of t&g floor above. When I bought the place the prior owner had slapped up Merillat golden oak cabinets. They were hanging all cock-eyed on the log. I decided this old place needed some "carpenter-built" cabinets like you would find in old farm houses and such. They are really slapped together (in '87/raiding kids). I'm not real proud of the craftsmanship.
The corner pantry serves as the chase for plumbing behind a false back. The drain for the upstairs bath runs above the sink, behind the grille work. The built-in below the light is in the back wall (log) in a former window opening. I built an addition behind that wall and it's the mudroom behind it now, then a sunroom (used as bedroom). That sink I bought new in '87, Kohler.
1929 is a cool era. You could do an era carpenter-built style kitchen in that. It will be hard to leave this old log place with all it's soul. Finding another would be great, but for the sake of variety I'd like to do a craftsman style house. I've been grabbing pictures of smaller ones, as well as other cool cottage type, even small Victorians. If I end up with a common place small rancher I'll transform it into a Craftsman style. I definitely want something to apply a lot of hand made carpentry to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Wow! That's a beautiful kitchen man.
Thank you. Made the most out of the limited space. The log portion is 24' wide x 16' deep. Kitchen/dining area is 8 x 16. I searched to find the right table. It's a drop-leaf oval I can open up, slide out, and seat six (snugly). I keep one leaf dropped, against the wall, three chairs, unless I have guests
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
K, I really like your place and attention to detail. That sconce is fantastic.
I appreciate your perception. Long ago, still at home, my mom told me I have attention to detail. Must be true . I think I'll replace those sconces and take them with me when I go. I brought that tinsmith out of retirement to make them. Pretty special to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Nice looking place Tim!!
Bucket seats and all, right? I'm cramped for space with everything emptied out of my (2 level) barn. I haven't been able to use my woodstove because of the seats and a bunch of antique chairs needing repairs stuffed all around it. Just yesterday I realized I could put them back up in the barn until the actually day I move that building. I want to build a fire! (and save on my electric). I can't be taking nice vacations to stay in a comfy cabin, so I just live in one

Now I feel like I'm showing off. This thread hit the nail on my head
Again, not proud of the rushed craftsmanship, but here is my laundry room I added on. One Christmas I set the coffee machine up on the folding table (made from an old board & batten door) to make more counter space in the kitchen... and there it stayed. It's a small enough place, there's a utility sink in there, and screw tradition. It works out well
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote