View Single Post
Old 01-22-2022, 08:26 AM   #2091
special-K
Special Order

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

I watched a thing on YouTube about 18 things Wales is best known for. Sounded like a snooty Brit to me. He tells about Tom Jones and some other insignificant things and left out one I feel is important, at least in American history. Tom Jones is a person who happens to be from Wales. Wales isn't known for Tom Joneses, Tom Jones is known for being from Wales, that's all. He is well known for being a performer. Anyway, no mention of Welsh Corgis, which is their actual name, like German Shephard.

I didn't think of those cute little big dogs, but I did comment on something else that has to do why many Americans have Welsh ancestry is due to their superior iron working skills. The B & O Railroad was America's first commercial railroad and Welsh iron workers were sought after to immigrate and facilitate the making of some of the first iron rails made in America. So their iron working skills were obviously well know dating farther back than that. My great grandfather was one of those who came to work at the Mount Savage Iron Works in the town of the same name, just outside Cumberland, Maryland where the C & O Canal had been built to. This is big US history right there. The rails made there way east on the canal boats to build the rails west. I got a lot of kudos from those with Welsh ancestry from as far as Australia. No comment from the snooty Brit, though And I delivered ny comment with great diplomacy, as not to offend

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote