View Single Post
Old 02-23-2022, 11:50 AM   #36
MikeB

Re: Gathering parts for front disc brakes for 1969

Quote:
OK regarding Motive Gear MG6569 replacement axle shafts. I have measured the center hole of the 71 rear brake drum at 3-1/8 inch and found info in the Q&A on Summit’s site that says the brake pilot is 3.06" so that will fit.

The specs say the shaft is 30.5" long. Is there a way for me to confirm the length and that I'm getting the right one without taking the axle out of the differential? I see Motive Gear has another axle shaft part number 14071751 with length 31.281" long and 71 C10 is in the fitment list. So I suppose that is the longer of the two choices and the one I should not choose.

Should I drain the differential and remove the axle before I order? Or is there another way to verify I have the shorter differential of 1969? If I do remove the axle, where are the measurements taken from on the axle shaft?
Here's a way to keep it simple: I converted a friend's 66 C10 from 6-lug to 5-lug several years ago. I called either Strange or Currie (can't remember which) and the guy I spoke with knew exactly what I needed. He gave me the part number and dimensions immediately without having to look up anything.

That's what I recommend you do. No worrying about making sure you order the correct parts.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is online now   Reply With Quote