View Single Post
Old 04-16-2022, 03:40 AM   #12
79vette

Re: Clutch Issue after clutch issue!

ok. It sounds like you have all the correct parts installed then. As long as you are using the matching pressure plate and bearing from the kit it should be good.

You mentioned you also replaced the fork. Any chance you might have used the fork from a mechanical linkage clutch by accident? It is a different length and shape from the hydraulic fork, and probably would not work right. Is your bellhousing original to the truck?

The best way I have found to do square body hydro clutches is to just install all the new parts dry. Connect the hoses, leave the slave cylinder unbolted from the bellhousing and fill the reservoir, and slowly press the rod into the slave cylinder. Then let go and allow it to fully extend under spring pressure. Do this 10 times or so while checking to ensure there is still fluid in the reservoir. Let it sit for 10-15 min and any remaining air will bubble out of the master cylinder and you should have the clutch completely bled. My 88 R30 has a factory hydro clutch, my 86 K5 was retrofitted to a hydro clutch with stock parts, and my C3 Corvette has square body clutch hydraulics and this method has worked great on all of them.

If you do try to bleed it some more, I would just unbolt the slave cylinder and slowly push the rod in and let it extend back out 5-10 times. At that point you should have no air in the system.
1977 Jimmy - 350, TH400, NP203
1982 Blazer - 350, 700R4, NP208 - Totalled, now a parts truck
Scratch built 16' flatbed trailer - thread
79vette is offline   Reply With Quote