View Single Post
Old 04-19-2022, 05:33 PM   #11
georgieb51

Re: What is a dimple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
I tried that on a '67 K/10 Suburban. I had to restore it to manual steering.
K/ Trucks are a whole different animal.
'67 + '68 used Power Assisted Steering on 4X4 models. This system is also used on vintage Corvettes so the parts are priced thru the roof.
The MY '69 and later power steering gear boxes swing left/right. The '67/'68 and earlier K/10 steering gears swing fore and aft.
System types are incompatible.
I tried putting on a '69 Power Steering Gear box on my Sub, and had no end of problems. Steering geometry was way off. I had to make a 180* from the middle lane to get the curb lane on the other direction. The 1/2'' mounting bolts Holding the gear box to the frame would shear off sometimes. Rack to rack alignment was off.
When I went back to manual steering [after JB welding a crack in the manual case] it still would not track right, since we had cut the draglink and used a variable 1 ton draglink in its place.
Easiest solution is Don't Do it.
Next best solution is change out the front axle/differential assembly for '69 and later- Dana 44.
That will give you P/S and Power Disc Brakes.
Been there done that and it was not fun.
Two wheel drives, it might be easy, but not on a K/ Truck.

And I never mentioned how hard it is to find a 292-only P/S Pump bracket.
I appreciate our honest but scary advice. At least I know I have everything stacked against me. One step at a time but I may have to live without PS. In the meanwhile I will be on the lookout for a 292 PS pump bracket in case I get some brilliant idea.
1967 Chevy K10 Short Stepside, unrestored original.
1969 GMC CST (Longhorn) 396, buckets, unrestored.
1995 GMC K2500, 65,000 miles, 454.
georgieb51 is offline   Reply With Quote