View Single Post
Old 06-01-2022, 12:42 PM   #516
6DoF

Re: Project: Tow-Rat (Lil' Blue)

so i think i'm going to try a new rust converter. the AutoTech Rust-Prep is high shipping cost, and long lead right now. here's my research n thoughts.

the more i look into others, it seams like there are like 2 different actual converters on the market, but sold or "made" by 100 different companies in different % products.

Thick vs thin:
some are sprayable, some are not. when both are offered by the same brand, it's the same stuff, just with reducer.

Primer vs not:
some are ready to paint, some need cleaned of the possible white powder with mineral spirits. the non-primer needs primer over it.

Tannic or Phosphoric acid based:
most won't tell you, some do, but you can figure out by the directions really. the tannic might all have primer, while the phosphoric look to be the ones that need post-cleaning ... cant' 100% confirm, but that's my feeling.

i feel like the AutoTech Rust-Prep is the same as Ospho Metal Treatment ... Phosphoric based, thin, no primer. these will leave the white powder that needs cleaned before priming.

i'm thinking Rust Check, FDC Rust Converter Ultra, Corroseal Rust Converter, MRO Chem Black Star Rust Converter, Eastwood Rust Converter, etc etc etc ... Tannic acid, with primer, sold as thick or thin.

SO! i feel like i'd rather have a thicker, with primer product ... and $10 says they are all the same exact thing with different levels of active agents in a different label. every review says the FDC does 500sqft but most likely needs 2 coats, while the Corroseal does 250sqft but only ever needs one coat. that sounds like FDC is just a watered down Corroseal to me. i know eastwood doesn't make their own stuff, so who's is it? is it just corroseal with a different label and a JACKED up price? i also feel like Corroseal floated to the top of more comparison reviews.

Amazon:
FDC Rust Converter Ultra ... $50
Corroseal Rust Converter ... $67 ... free shipping (might be $10 cheaper on eBay)
AutoTech Rust-Prep ... $51 + $34 shipping
MRO Chem Black Star Rust Converter ... $95
Eastwood Rust Converter ... $134

i'm buying 1gal of the Corroseal on Amazon to do the floor of the '55 with ... stay tuned for further thoughts.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote