View Single Post
Old 06-29-2022, 06:46 PM   #932
kipps

Re: Intro from an old Assembly Plant guy

Keith, since you've been involved in engineering work at GM over this time period, I figured you might know the answer to a question I've had.

Is there any recorded account of the development of the gen3 small block? Did you see much of that yourself first-hand?

It would be interesting to hear more details about it. There's certain aspects to that engine that seem pointless except from a hotrodding perspective. Did the potential for hotrodding and aftermarket parts supply factor in at all in the design of the engine?

Engineering stuff fascinates me, particularly the interplay between good engineering, low cost, and expectations. Anytime there was a major shift in a product line, there are obviously a bunch of fun engineering decisions to study, mock, and praise accordingly. The John Deere changeover from the 2-cylinder tractors to the new generation of tractors in 1960 is a really interesting situation, and I expect the gen3 LS engines had a similar story.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote