View Single Post
Old 07-06-2022, 08:36 PM   #4
dsraven

Re: Rebuilding manual steering box - question?

when I do a bushing removal from a blind hole I try to thread it and use something that screws into the bushing and then slide hammer it out. since it is a good sized bushing on this one, and you likely don't have a big tap like that, I would next try a single bevel point cold chisel that has the back side ground round to match the contour of the outside of the bushing, then use it to remove a strip out of the bushing so it can be removed easily. be careful not to score the bore of the housing is all. another way is to use a die grinder with a burr and use that to grind a groove in the bushing so it has a weak spot where it will easily collapse when you use a small flat screwdriver or a cold chisel as mentioned above.
to push a new bushing into the bore, first ensure the bore is clean and smooth, lightly oiled. then place the ne bushing into the bore straight and square, tap a few times gently to keep it there, then use the vice to squeeze it into place. the last little bit can be done with a correct sized piece of flat stock, like a washer. if the bore has a hole in th other end you can also suck it in there with threaded rod.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote