View Single Post
Old 08-29-2022, 02:21 PM   #3116
ohboy321

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Today I replaced a broken rocker arm stud. I first attempted the job with the head still installed, but ended up pulling the head off yesterday. I first tried cutting new threads and using stacked washers to pull it out, but the threads gave out before it started moving. While still in the truck, I then tried welding a stud on top of the broken one to use for pulling it, but wasn’t able to get a good weld, mainly because of the location and my inexperience with welding. Welding in an assembled motor is scary, so I pulled the head, removed all the valves, and then was able to get a good enough weld to pull the broken stud. I tapped the hole, threaded in a new stud, reinstalled all the valves, and will start putting the motor back together tomorrow.

This is the second stud that broke after installing a mild lift cam (.454/.454) last year, and based on the location of the break on both, which was just at the base of the threads, it looks like the slots in the stock rocker arms were not long enough causing this issue. I now have new rocker arms with longer slots and should know if I solved the issue soon. Pictures are the first stud that brok and the second one I pulled today.
Attached Images

1967 K10 327 Short Bed Stepside
2008 F350 Power Stroke
2007 BMW X3
2020 BMW 540xi
1995 Harley FLSTC
ohboy321 is offline   Reply With Quote