Thread: 47-59 VIN & Block Numbers
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2022, 01:40 PM   #7
mr48chev

Re: VIN & Block Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
Sounds like there might be an issue with the balancer. If it's old, it could have rotated enough on the rubber ring that it would cause any timing reading to be way off.

There is always that chance on that style of balancer that is two pieces with the rubber and nothing else between them. Just as there is the chance that the outer ring will come of on it's own. I've seen that and the carnage involved a couple of times. I also had a guy bring me the two parts and the rubber sleeve years ago after he had used one of those three arm gear pullers to pull the damper off and turned it into a real two part damper. He was wanting to know if we could put it back together.

Back to the subject at hand, Sammy 4358 is most likely going to have to find TDC on number one using traditonal methods and then see where the mark on the damper is and if it is at 12 O'Clock or where ever and go from there.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote