View Single Post
Old 10-09-2022, 11:07 PM   #2652
Silverstate55

Re: GM Semis

Quote:
Originally Posted by C10 - C90 Bill View Post
Detroit sounds good.

Keep us posted on your projects.
Thanks! I’ll do my best…I’m just unbelievably busy these days; not only do I have my own trucks to work on (collector trucks plus military trucks and old Caterpillar crawlers/dozers) but I do maintenance & fabrication for local contractors. I’ve gathered quite a few old Detroit Diesel tools so I can do repairs & tune-ups on 2-stroke DDs. Plus I like to buy military 8V92s at auctions mainly for parts…bought one not too long ago for $800 that was mounted on a like-new $6,000 engine stand!

I grew up helping my late Grandfather run & repair Detroit 2-strokes…I vividly remember as a teenager in the 1970s when he was working on an 8V71, barring it over to run the rack, and it fired up and ran!! The ratchet luckily just stuck to the front crank bolt and unscrewed it…I had visions of the ratchet going through the radiator or worse. From then on he engaged fuel or air shut-offs before barring anything over, and I do the same to this day! Obviously we didn’t work in a factory-authorized repair center….
Silverstate55 is offline   Reply With Quote