View Single Post
Old 11-17-2022, 11:57 AM   #228
68 C10 Driver

Re: 1968 C10 Stepside Restoration Project

So last Sunday I started on the restoration of one of the steering wheels I acquired for the truck. There are a lot of good videos out there on YouTube, some individuals use a 3M epoxy type no-flow seam sealer, a two part tube type epoxy, or a two part epoxy putty to fill in cracks after they have been enlarged using a Dremel Tool and steering wheel thoroughly cleaned. Enlarging the cracks with the Dremel Tool cleans the crack out to give the epoxy better adhesion and allows it to get down into the steering wheel material completely without any air pockets forming.

After allowing the epoxy to set-up, the fun begins with the sanding...lots of sanding. That epoxy putty is HARD, which is good. I am also building out the base of the red El Camino steering wheel, that being the part that is closest to the steering column, so it will be the same diameter. Being that this steering wheel is essentially a car steering wheel, it is narrower than the truck's steering column. For this I am using "All Metal", a type of 'Bondo' like body putty that has aluminum in it that causes the material to be extremely hard and less prone to 'denting'. Being the steering wheel, I just wanted to ensure that it is less prone to any damage due to the proximity to the driver and due to the fact it is the item most handled by the driver.

Pictures to follow.

Last edited by 68 C10 Driver; 11-17-2022 at 12:06 PM.
68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote