View Single Post
Old 12-02-2022, 09:56 AM   #5
72c20customcamper

Re: Sealing Bed Wood?

Automotive clear is as good as polyurethane now in fact it’s probably better . It’s flexible enough that it won’t crack with the wood movement . Used to be you had to add flex agent to paint bumpers but that’s a thing of the past .

In order to not get bubbles you need to thin the first coat or use an inter coat clear so it soaks into the wood. Then sand and reapply it would take a lot of coats and sanding to get a smooth finish . If your going for show results it would work out but it would need to be kept up with if used on a regular basis.

And if the grain isn’t appealing raw it won’t be with clear on it . I just redid mine as it got stained I used an oil but I think working around the truck grinding dust got on the wood . And moisture metal and oak don’t mix oak has tannins that react with iron causing it to turn a blueish hue . Wasn’t going for glass just a well sealed finish . I got the wood from a local mill it was 5/4 white oak and I did the finish work .

Edit: After talking with some cabinet makers and doing online research the Minwax water based spar urethane was highly recommended . We shall see how well it weathers . My truck isn’t going to be outdoors but I’m sure I’ll get caught in the rain
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 12-02-2022 at 10:03 AM.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote