View Single Post
Old 12-19-2022, 04:47 PM   #145
sfont66

Re: 72 C10 for my 25th wedding anniversary

I pulled the bed off the truck again, it’s cold outside, but warm in the shop. So , I thought I would get back to work on the truck again.
For many years I have had a hole in the floor of the bed where the gas filler neck is on the Boyd tank. Recently I decided to do something about it. Boyd Welding had a Black Friday sale, so I purchased their flush mount bed floor fill kit.
My truck came from California and was in pretty good shape as far as rust, but it was used hard on a ranch, so it has had its share of bumps , bangs and dents.
The bed floor shows the result of using a truck as a truck for many years prior to me owning it.
Anyway, I disassembled the bed again, so I could work on the floor. I started with the gas filler. I didn’t want the filler to sit on top of the ribs, but more recessed, I marked out a circle about 3/8” larger in diameter than the filler. I then cut the ribs along that line and hammered that portion flat. Then I welded the gaps between the ribs and the floor closed ( forgot to take a pic) most welding was done from the underside. A little grinding, and a skim of filler…..
more in a bit
Attached Images