View Single Post
Old 01-10-2023, 02:45 PM   #104
88Stanger

Re: '64 C-10 Stalled Project Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne View Post
Yeah, I downloaded a copy of those directions from Unisteer a while back. Oddly, I've read through the instructions that came with the POL rack, and they make no mention of cutting the OE steering shaft. They mention the possible need to shorten the new shaft, but nothing about the OE shaft. I find the discrepancy to be a bit odd. It will be interesting to see what I run into when I get into this. I'm prepared to cut the OE shaft if necessary, but it would be great if I don't have to.
I wished I had more info for you on this, but I am going with an aftermarket steering assembly. Just from what I seen and found, the longer the shaft is coming out of the firewall, the worse the angles get when you add in the universal joints. This may not make sense yet, but maybe as you start the process you will see what I found. If by chance you do not find that this is the case, please elaborate on what you find. I fully understand your concern cutting the original shaft! that would make me nervous also.
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote