View Single Post
Old 01-16-2023, 11:23 AM   #16
dsraven

Re: 52 gmc 6 lug rear axle options

doesn't sound like you are new to the game or that you are afraid to tackle something for a first time, so, personally, I would grab an 8.8 diff from an explorer and shorten the long side to match the short side, then use 2 short side axles. some will say they get a "set" from torquing one direction so you shouldn't put it in the wrong side. well, the easy fix is to buy a new axle if it worries you.
for steering, if you plan to use the stock axle, i would recommend the ccp power steering kit and when you remove the old gearbox you can cut the column and shaft off at the box and then shorten it as much as needed, then use a flanged bearing that fits the dimensions of the old tube and the old shaft (I hear some wheelbarrow wheel bearings fit) then grind some flats onto the shaft to accept a regular column shaft u joint. that way you retain the rest of the column so the interior looks the same and no messing around with a new column etc.
for brakes I would use a hydroboost pwer brake unit from a donor vehicle and attach a master cylinder that fits your brake set up, whether that be disc disc or disc drum. it can be frame mounted like the old stock one. there are guys on here who have done that and simply made a bracket to mount the set up further back to allow more room where the trans is. you can use the front disc brake set up from a supplier or fab something to adapt brakes from something else like some here have done.
it all comes down to how much you have to spend, how much you are willing/able to do yourself and what tools and shop space you have to do it in. oh yeah, and what skill level you have for this kinda thing, haha.
nive pics. keep posting up as you go along.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote