View Single Post
Old 01-18-2023, 01:28 AM   #23
mr48chev

Re: 52 gmc 6 lug rear axle options

Starting to be too much nonsense and "what I likes" on this.

First if you know what wheels you want to run or actually have them you need to know the back spacing and then add in the amount of space that the tire takes up beyond that.

Stock AD bed with comes out to right at 50-1/8 give or take with the inside width being 50. You have a 74-1/2 outside the fenders to outside the fenders. Take off about 1/2 inch on each side for fender lip and it may be more than that and you have 73-1/2 and still need tire to lip space. You have right at 11-3/4 on each side to work with withoug messing up the fenders or tubs

If your wheel has a 6 inch back spacing that means you need 66 inches of axle width wms to wms just for the rims to clear, Add another inch for tire and that comes to 64 so a 65 inch wide 70 somethign axle is probably what you actually need rather than a 59-1/2 inch exploder rear or worse yet an exploder rear that is narrowed more yet for what ever reason.

There is space for a 255 tire on an 8 inch wheel in side the fender no matter what axle or what offset you run. It is just axle width and offset have to match. it doesn't matter if the 255 is on a 15 inch wheel or a 20 inch wheel it is going to be the same width.

I've played with this tire size comparison chart quite a bit as it puts the numbers side by side

This is comparing a 255-60-15 to a 255-45- 20

This one compares a 255-60-15 to a 255-35-20 you end up with a 20 inch rim but tire height and width is almost exactly the same.

Link to tire calculator https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc

I've used this one at times too and it gives a visual https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Meaning that first you check the back spacing on the wheels and then you may be able to run that K 10 rear, The offset on the wheels and the back spacing will just look funny to most of us AD and TF guys who's preference runs to a more traditional negative offset (reverse) wheel.

I'm thinking that there right at 12 inches of usable width between the fender lip and the bed side of an AD truck, That gives you an inch on each side of the tire wiggle room and I think I actually have 1/2 inch on the inside and maybe 3/4 on the outside.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 01-18-2023 at 02:05 AM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote