View Single Post
Old 02-12-2023, 09:41 PM   #6
chris989

Re: tire rack with barn doors

Update,

Since this thread has ~400 views I thought it might help someone venturing down this path and save them some headaches or give some ideas.

Making the brace behind the bumper is a headache but doable. For not much stuff under there,, what is there is in the way for every idea. I resorted to using a 2x2 and inserting it into my hitch receiver and will use multiple welded nuts that I can thread into to hold it in place and adjust height.

The spindle through the bumper is easy enough but the bumper does angle forward causing some tight issues underneath.

Which leads me to the latch. I will/would use some type of angle iron to support the latch and the barn door clears the latch hook but there is not much to screw the latch to. It would be nice to have solid iron for tha latch to catch but this tiny piece of the puzzle is a real pain.

It looks like removing the bumper and fabricating a 2x6 or 2x4 tube is the only solution.. I wanted the OE appearance and not giving up yet but it is starting to look like a mess.
Chris
Attached Images

chris989 is offline   Reply With Quote