View Single Post
Old 04-18-2023, 10:29 AM   #19
SCOTI

Re: Outboard shock mounts - 6.5"-7" Rear drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Kind of do not understand the thinking here. With a panhard bar the lateral (side to side) movement will be minimal. Especially with a longer panhard that is more parallel at ride height. Obviously, not a lot of articulation to worry about with the lowered suspension as suspension travel is limited. The change in shock angle even with standing them up more (as stock) will put more stress on the bushings more than lateral movement ever could. That is the reason GM put both of the shock mount bolts perpendicular to the frame. Put my rear shock mounts that way with 16" of wheel travel with leaf springs which will move side to side much more than a panhard setup. I will be able to bottom one rear wheel and have the other at full droop. Granted my shock eyes are a bit different with pivots in the ends. My case is extreme, I still hope I am getting the information stated correctly.
I challenge the idea that the leafs allow more side shift of a rear-end housing vs. a Panhard bar.

Is it possible? Sure.
Is it a legit/correct statement across the board? Not w/o measuring.

Even w/measuring, the parameters would have to be determined before the info is applicable (stock leaf vs stock T/A; dropped vs dropped).

We know the T/A w/Panhard bar allows slight side shift by design. The shorter the bar, the more the shift. So if one is changing the stock shock location/positioning, it's not a bad idea to be aware. Monitoring for unusual wear & tear @ the shock mount bushings (oil change/maint intervals?) until they feel comfortable things are fine.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote