View Single Post
Old 04-19-2023, 02:40 AM   #24
Richard

Re: Outboard shock mounts - 6.5"-7" Rear drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I challenge the idea that the leafs allow more side shift of a rear-end housing vs. a Panhard bar.

Is it possible? Sure.
Is it a legit/correct statement across the board? Not w/o measuring.

Even w/measuring, the parameters would have to be determined before the info is applicable (stock leaf vs stock T/A; dropped vs dropped).

We know the T/A w/Panhard bar allows slight side shift by design. The shorter the bar, the more the shift. So if one is changing the stock shock location/positioning, it's not a bad idea to be aware. Monitoring for unusual wear & tear @ the shock mount bushings (oil change/maint intervals?) until they feel comfortable things are fine.
I know about shift from a panhard. My front axle with a 4 link and the longest panhard I could fit moves over 2" side to side with 14" of axle travel. I was careful to make panhard and draglink parallel and close in length to eliminate bump steer. Just wanted to point out that I believe (also GM) that the lateral movement is typically less than that on angled shock mounts. Pics in my thread show the change in shock angle of rear shocks on my truck. Almost vertical at full droop. Granted that is almost 16" of axle travel. To me reality is that shock mounting will not make any difference on the lowered vehicle as suspension movement is limited. The way I see leafs, the arch puts more strain on the bushings and will cause more side to side movement than a panhard. Yes a flat leaf may have more control of that motion.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote