View Single Post
Old 11-28-2023, 06:50 PM   #15
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Did you use the Holley pump on a daily driver and if so how many miles?
Yes.
I used the Holley Red pump on my Suburban as a daily driver.
When I bought that truck, it had a garden variety auto parts store electric fuel pump. PO merely bypassed the manual pump on the BBC 454. One night when I was about to give a union sister a ride home, the cheap pump quit on me. She got another ride, but while crawling underneath, I saw that the Mech fuel pump was still on the block, but closed off with dead end hoses. So I connected it and she started up. I got home OK.
A couple years later, I was having fuel feed issues with a belly tank and a stock mechanical pump. Someone suggested the Holley pump. So I went for it the next payday.
I had a kill switch under the dash for a security trick. But I ignored the advised Fuel Pressure Safety switch.
[Power is routed to the pump thru an oil pressure sensor. No oil pressure -- no voltage to fuel pump. Keeps the pump from still running if the engine stops.] Since I wasn't Racing, and insufficient fuel flow on starting was my issue, I didn't think I needed this switch.
Then one day, I accidently poured 5 gallons of diesel into my main tank. The engine backfired. The oil-soaked K&N air cleaner caught fire, a plastic see-thru fuel filter melted open, and my fuel pump whirred merrily along feeding the flames.
Luckily, a couple of guys from my motel ran out with fire extinguishers.
I decided to rent a UHaul F350 box truck, buy a bumper hitch, and tow White Fang back to Tucson from El Centro.
To cover expenses, I filed an accident claim with Farmers'. Really, the only real damage was a toasted air cleaner and scorched carburetor, and burned- thru plug wires. The insurance adjuster thought it was a ''piece of S@$%,'' and totalled it, and they gave me a salvage title. It's been sitting awaiting a rebuild ever since.

Anyway I think I ran the Red pump for a couple years and it worked fine.
After it had been sitting for years, I pulled it to use syphoning gas out of jerry cans into the fuel tank. When it stalled one time, I took the top apart and lost one of the commutator brush springs. By the time I found it, I'd stepped on it. I went to the hot rod shop to try to buy new springs, but the don't sell them. Best they could do was sell me a Blue Holley pump for $35 for parts-- one they'd traded out under warranty because it leaked. I never stole the good Blue springs for the Red pump, I just traded pumps. A slight weep, doesn't matter in a fuel transfer. That's what I use today.
In operation on the Sub, I had mounted it on the inside frame rail, about under the passenger seat. No indicator was needed, the Holley announced its presence when ON by a loud buzz/whirr.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 11-28-2023 at 06:58 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote