View Single Post
Old 02-14-2024, 10:37 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

I had a stars aligned experience yesterday. I live on the western county line near the SE corner. I've been working on a gal's (Kate) family farmhouse just over the eastern county line near the NW corner. Yesterday she found an oak shelving unit for cheap on marketplace and asked if I could pick it up since the seller was in my town/postal area. The sellers were an old couple, so Kate followed me there to help move it out. This address was the next road over a ridge (Woodville Rd) from me, very close. What a beautiful property! Their lane went way way back through the woods following the East Branch of Linganore Creek, the same creek that originates near me and passes by across the road. It opened up to farmland with ponds and a beautiful house.

The woman greets us, a very sweet person, and we begin going about the deed. She mentioned her husband was sick and that's why he hadn't come out. I mentioned my friends had lived in the old place where the old Woodville Store was located, his woodshop, and that property was vast and had another tributary to Linganore Creek running through. They sold it a while ago and, shamelessly, the new owner leveled the house (part log) and the store. She said she went to school with Jeff. Then I asked her last name and I know the name well. I started naming names and she knew them all. I asked if her husband was Tom, and it's him. He is a good friend of my good friend's brother who's family I've been close with for a very long time. Their father just died this year at 103 years of age. Tom grew up on this farm, was a dairy farmer, and was a state representative from '83-'96. The family also owned the farm across the road when I first moved here and another farm between here and there. Kate is third generation on her farm and her grandfather who bought the place grew up on the farm next door, which the ladies discussed. So it's a small world after all! The woman said before Tom got sick he was very handy, did everything there, but she'd be needing someone to take care of things the way I take care of things for Kate. Once better acquainted, as we were about to leave, she softly mentioned "He's not going to make it" with such sadness in her voice. we gave our condolences and Kate said she'd message them my contact info. They have grown children, but I'd be more than willing to help out in any way. I guess her son/sons aren't so handy. so, that was what I did last evening. Quite an experience I had not expected

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote