View Single Post
Old 05-04-2024, 05:37 PM   #3
samert111

Re: Shorting Steering Column? 1968 3 speed column, shifter moved to floor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Screw View Post
Ok, I have gone through the threads and searched the www and I'm still not real sure.
All the manual shifter linkage is not used, I have a Lokar shifter.
This is a Frankintruck btw.

Can I get an inch or 2 between my gut and the steering wheel easy enough by just loosening a few bolts and pushing the steering wheel in? That's really the question.

Thanks!
Yes you can, but the steering intermediate shaft between the end of the steering column and steering gear has a slip joint that is plastic injection molded to hold it in place that will need to have the plastic removed so you can push the steering column down a couple inches thru the firewall. Just heat it with a torch and melt the plastic out then drill and pin the slip joint once you have the steering column where you want it.

Mine was an automatic converted to 4 speed manual and I also wanted a couple more inches between me and the steering wheel. I removed the neutral safety switch on the bottom of column at the firewall since I didn't need it anymore. Loosen the bracket under the dash and the clamp at the firewall engine side and slide it down to where you want it. I think 3" might be about the max you can get.
samert111 is offline   Reply With Quote