View Single Post
Old 07-04-2019, 01:26 PM   #29
shifty
Questionable

Re: 17 y/o needing advice from the truck legends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
Do it before you have children. Waiting till your married is absolutely the worst advice. I have seen to many friends wait, and wait. Then snap mid life crisis.

Also your perspective wife signs up for what you are. If you want to be a car but find a woman who excepts it.
I just want to second this, because our brick-fisted friend here is putting out some expert advice you'll sorely regret later if you opt to ignore. He needs to add on more thing, though.

You need to be 100% sure you're on the same page about kids before you get too seriously involved. If you're not both on the same page, this *WILL* destroy your relationship later. One of you will absolutely resent the other, without fail, if you aren't in agreement about having them. Talk about it sooner than later, don't wait til after they met the parents and you've moved in, have shared bank accounts etc. I've seen it ruin tons of marriages first-hand.

I would also say, marriage doesn't always lead to issues completing projects. But kids often seem to happen 3-5 years after you get married based on my experience, so expect one could lead to the other. I can also tell you about my kid experience. My bagged LS1/T56-loaded '68 C10 project got derailed after the 1st kid. Circumstances forced me to sell, and that came with - at least - a $4k loss. I don't want to dig on what the actual number is so we'll stick with conservative of $4k. Maybe closer to double that.

I'm fortunate, I was lucky or smart enough to find a woman who wanted someone handy but also understood I could clean up well but wasn't the suit-and-tie wine-and-dine type. She knew I grew up with less means than many and had to work on my own cars, dad was Navy plane mechanic, built his own houses growing up, made sure both his kids could do the same. She doesn't expect me to be what I'm not and she doesn't pay for plumbers/electricians/mechanics/etc. unless I advise her it's what we should do. That perk comes with her needing to understand I need to keep up on those skills by tinkering on projects, so she does just that.

Which brings me to the truck advice...

Just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions being like buttholes! I personally think you made a poor choice buying the '76 on impulse, but it's OK. You're young, plenty of time to live and learn.

I think you really should've bought a project more inline with what you're able to tackle given your resources & knowledge. I'd personally keep an eye out for something a little more within your means on the next one. It's definitely out there, be patient and be smart, use your brain not your impulse.

Every vehicle you buy at a lower price will have one of a couple qualities, but not all: Good body, good drivetrain, good wiring, good interior. If I were you, based on what you shared above, I'd look for something with a good body and good wiring that's running but maybe not perfectly. The tools you already have and this forum will get you through the interior and mechanical issues pretty well.

If you rely on your '76 to get around, start the hunt for something better suited to your means before selling. When you find it, list your current truck high. Go $1,600 or something. Let your sale ad run for a bit. If no bites in 4-6 weeks on Craigslist, drop it a hundred. Rinse/repeat. You can sock away the money for future work on the new vehicle.

My latest project, I wanted something vintage, low mileage/good drivetrain and good wiring so I knew I wouldn't get stuck, my project is also a daily driver. I personally didn't care about the paint or interior because those are things you can work at in small pieces while still driving around what you got. Had a couple curve balls along the way, but generally speaking, the truck's been good to me and one day will be damn amazing.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote