View Single Post
Old 02-08-2021, 11:15 PM   #18
Asshat

Re: Loud air sucking noise on acceleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Has it always done it, or is it a new symptom?
I have only had this truck since April 2019, and I just got it on the road this past week. Most of the time it was up on jackstands in the garage.

I am thinking it could be an exhaust leak; I assembled the entire exhaust from pieces I had in the garage, and a few new ones. I may just take it to an exhaust shop this Saturday and see what they will charge me.

I could pull the air cleaner off and drive it, see is that makes any difference. It sounds good at idle, and once it warms up it accelerates ok.

I have the 4-speed, stock transmission, it shifts fine. The rear end is a 14-bolt GM, 4:10 or 4:11 gears, from my calculations. The truck seems to top-out at about 55mph, primarily cuz it sounds like I am really pushing it, at about 2k rpm (if my tach is correct). It just seems so loud going down the road, but not like exhaust noise. As it is, the muffler I have installed is one of those quiet mufflers.

Brings me to another question... if its worth putting 3:42 gears in it vs a 5-speed OD trans. A ring and pinion will cost about $300, and a 5-speed is probably north of $800.

I think the 3:42 will only drop my rpm by about 500rpm, if I'm not mistaken. I'll have to check some gear tables.