View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 09:32 PM   #12
p0508

Re: '71 LS/T56/Ridetech build with cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Truck_Fan View Post
Nice build! Thanks for sharing all the detailed pictures. Are you using the standard Tremec T56 Magnum rear shifter location just flipped forward? How do you like the shifter position and throw now that you've had some seat time? Was it all spec'd by American Powertrain?
Its the standard T56 Mag with the tremec shifter swapped around. It fit perfectly where i wanted it on the high hump trans no complaints there. I ordered it through american powertrain with their hydraulic setup. The throw isn't bad, I had to go through hursts catalog and pick a shifter i thought was the right dimensions. Had to modify the base a little bit and cut a different bolt hole for it but other then that its in a great spot.

Now for the bad:

It's a known issue of the T56 magnum/TR6060 the 2nd gear synchro is very sensitive. After 1800 miles the synchro is completely gone, try and put in 2nd over 20mph and it's straight gear. I throughly followed the break in and have years upon years of experience with the T56, I adjusted and re adjusted and confirmed their is no clutch drag, i bled and re bled the slave/master, I changed fluid again etc etc, i did my due dilligence to make sure it wasn't something I could have prevented.

I have contacted American powertrain multiple times and received not very good customer service in regards to warranty and just timely replies. They want me to tear out the trans and send it back to them so they can disassemble and inspect it. After I finally got ahold of them I get an email stating i have to return it to them for inspection, and that was it. No RMA number no instructions, not where to send etc etc. I replied asking for instructions, and still haven't gotten a response.

XXXXX,

Thu, Apr 25, 10:55 PM (7 days ago)

I called you earlier today and expressed my warranty claim with you over the phone. I would like to take this to emails so I can start a paper trail on this and put my claims in writing to hopefully assist with the claim process, and provide transparency during the process.

The issue:

When going over 20mph and attempting to downshift into 2nd gear and 2nd gear old it grinds hard.

This first occurred about a week ago or maybe i first noticed it when turning into my neighborhood and attempting to grab 2nd gear to coast around the corner.

The transmission:

1300 miles on the clock and its sitting behind a maybe 350 horsepower 5.3L truck motor with no power adders other then a small cam.

The clutch:
GM LS7 Clutch

Hydraulics:
American powertrain hydraulic kit and throwout bearing.

Additional Notes:

I followed the break in procedure and used GM Synchromesh during the break in process. At around the 500 mile mark I drained the GM synchromesh and utilized Pennzoil synchromesh found at a local parts store.

At about 1300 miles I first noticed an issue.

My additional steps:

Saturday April 27th I'm going to drain the Pennzoil synchromesh and replace with the exact GM synchromesh used during break in.

I also put the rear end on jack stands and tested the clutch and pedal adjustment for issues on engagement/disengagement and found nothing wrong. The tire does not move when moving in and out of any gear nor does it drag at all.

The clutch master has been rebled as well.

Hope this information helps throughout the warranty process, this transmission has been babied from day one and it's disappointing to be having this issues.

Please keep me in the loop on this issue so hopefully we can get it resolved quickly.

Response:

Tue, Apr 30, 12:08 PM (2 days ago)

Hey Drew I saw you had called and I have been out of the office with my wife being in the hospital. I did talk to the builders and we will need to get the transmission back to do an inspection and see what is causing that issue. There are no known issues at the moment and there is nothing indicating we have a quick fix.

My email back and still haven't received a reply:

Apr 30, 2019, 5:59 PM (2 days ago)

So, where do I need to send it? What do I need to do other then take it out and drain the fluid? Just let you know when it's been taken out? What is the turn around time for this?

Last edited by p0508; 05-02-2019 at 11:23 PM.
p0508 is offline   Reply With Quote