View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 12:45 PM   #1
03TKMRacing

Project White Lightning

The build is on a 1968 Chevy C20 Longbed 2wd with a teenagers budget. I originally go the truck from a family friend who had gotten it from the church nearby and he didn't want to do a full rebuild and this truck was better than the one I already had. I had a 1968 C10 without a single straight panel.

Since I got it from a family friend he gave me a month to pay him $1500. I sold the C10 to a guy who wanted to do a full build without the engine and tranny for $1500. When i first go the truck we knew that the engine would need to be rebuilt but I soon learned how bad it really was. It would smoke and pop more than Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and would stall about every 30 seconds. Luckily I had already built a mild engine for the C10 and never installed it so we swapped out engines in a weekend. Turned out that one of the oil valley plugs was taken out by the machine shop just behind the head and I missed it.This made us take off the head and after that we were ready to start it up.

First thing we realized was that it had a terrible valve ticking and was leaking oil through the valves. We changed the seals and left it like that for a while so I could just drive the truck every now and then while checking the oil level liberally.

At this point I decided to start on suspension a bit and put on the lowing springs I had from the last truck.They were 4" in the back and 2" in the front. The front springs ended up being a little too soft so i got Moog stock C10 (1015 lb/in)springs and chopped them to lower the truck 2". This gave it a much better feel.

After that I decided I didn't like the drum brakes and did a 2 1/2" lowing spindle in the front and converted it to a 5x5 bolt pattern and I replaced the master for one out of an El Camino to get power brakes. The front tires are Mickey Thompson 275 65 15 and this is what I'm using on the next set up.

At this point the truck was running well and handled ok but I wanted a good working truck. So I took the truck out of commition and replaced cross members, trailing arms, and the rear axle Dana 44 from an 68 F100 and calipers from an early 2000's Ram with 2 1/2" spaces to convert the axles from 5x5.5 to 5x5. This also lines the tires up perfectly with the front tires.
Now I'm building the engine with a 284HR cam and Scorpion Products 210cc intake runner aluminum heads.

For temporary use I am using an NV3500 5-speed from an S-10 until I can afford a T56 6-speed. This is now where I'm at, with the truck apart and a few more parts to get. Updates and pictures to come soon.
1971 Dodge Demon 225 Slant Six
03TKMRacing is offline   Reply With Quote