View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 01:40 PM   #8
5Tractorguy

Re: ID'ing a 350 Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
The ID numbers are usually stamped on the front or rear 'face' of the cam. The timing gear can be removed from the front & theres a galley plug on the rear that can be removed & replaced (basically a freeze plug for the cam galley).

That being said..... Even w/the numbers, you may/may-not be able to positively ID the cam. I did this on a gifted 406 a while back. The numbers were on the rear of the cam but matched nothing I found on the internet. I spoke to a guy that had his motor built from the gentleman I got the 406 from & he told me what the cam was because they discussed it when determining what to use on his motor. When I looked up that 'current' specific grind, the numbers don't match.

Unfortunately this engine is still in the truck so everything has to be pulled out the front. I was thinking about that too, if the numbers would even be searchable online if found. Thought about calling the rebuilder too since he's still at it, but after 15yrs+/- I doubt he'll remember what was done to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
I'm sure it's just a run of the mill RV/towing cam; .450ish lift and 215-220 duration @ .050". If it is working fine I would leave it alone unless you need more power.

Well, I like to leave it be, trust me! Reason for the inquiry is it's an '88 TBI engine. From what I discovered online, you have to reprogram the ECM chip when a cam is installed. When dad restored this truck and it went on the road in 2011, it never ran/has never run right. I've posted a mess of threads on here over the years trying to figure it out, replaced every sensor, been through 4 ECM's and 2 throttle bodies, ETC.

After stumbling upon that info online, everything made sense. Figured if I can ID the cam and have the PROM done, that would be great. But if I can't ID the cam, it's getting a stock 350 TBI cam so I don't have to touch the computer. Been a 10yr long headache to say the least...

5Tractorguy on Youtube
5Tractorguy is offline   Reply With Quote