View Single Post
Old 07-16-2015, 08:39 AM   #9
Dannyboy1966

Re: Engine gets hot at idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
How many blades does your fan have? How many rows does your radiator have?

My fan has 7 and my radiator has 3 rows. My vacuum advance is on manifold vacuum and initial idle timing is set for around 10-12 BTC. No overheat at idle even when running AC on a hot day.

Getting a sending unit to match OEM temp gauges can be an exercise in frustration since different years require different sending units and a PO may have swapped either or both. The typical chain parts store sending unit generally won't work with the OEM gauge. Probably why you have the under dash units.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Your fan is too far into the shroud. You might be better off to replace the fan you have with a fixed blade one that fits in the shroud correctly.
Timing was changed like that because of sight lines past the a/c pump brackets and p/s pump brackets. You couldn't see the timing tab. Easier to move it to 12 oclock. A brilliant design by a 4 foot tall engineer who had no trouble setting the timing cause he stood inside the engine bay beside the rad. LOL!!
You're shooting yourself in the foot when you check your rad with a h2o hose. You just add more crap between the fins which hinders air flow. TRy the paper test. Or pull the rad and have it hot tanked to clean the fins perfectly.
My fan has 7 blades, but now that I noticed it only has one o row of core, maybe I should invest in the new Radiator i was looking at, I thought it had at least 2, 1 ain't enough for that, Hell my Caravan has the 3.3 V-6 and it has a 2 core. Thanks for making me go look at it again.
Yeah that poor little midget engineer. LOL
I wasn't running the engine when I blew the Rad out with the hose, and I blew it out from under the hood backwards toward the grill. Not from the fromt driving the stuff into the coils. But I'll give the paper trick a try.
Dannyboy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote