View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 08:52 AM   #93
71swb4x4

Re: 1967 C30 dump truck

Well we made it, the truck drives like a champ. It took a lot of work. Saturday we began the maiden trip home. We made it about 5 miles and I pulled over to inspect a burning smell. Smoke was rolling out of the front wheels. The calipers were grabbing.
After an hour cool down we turned around and went back to Todd's house. We replaced both calipers in the street. One of the calipers didn't fit right and we spend a good 20 minutes taking material off the caliper with a file. That part sucked. And then the rounded off bleeder, what a pain.
I made it home just as it was getting dark. A few stops to check everything over, and no more problems. The truck will go in this week for an alignment. I have a sway bar to get put on, and an internally regulated alternator.

Yesterday the dump truck went to the landfill three or four times with no problems. My employee did complain that it had no power once you hit 45 MPH. I explained that 45 is top speed. It's a work horse, not a speed demon.

So we have spent many weekends on this thing, next weekend is a family weekend. When the boys are older we can consider wrenching a family weekend, but we have a few years before that comes.